In 1975, the writer Shirley Conran published the book Superwoman, targeted at busy women, and with it, coined the phrase ‘Life is too short to stuff a mushroom’. Well yes I am taking that out of context but here is an opportunity to stand that idea on its head! Here is a stuffed mushroom recipe that could not be quicker or easier to prepare, and in addition, it is rich, rewarding and indulgent (which translates as – not a low calorie dish!!)
This dish was devised by Jackie as a starter for 3 when we were debating what to have on an indulgent Sunday evening before a main course of slow cooked pork breast ribs following Adam’s recipe (here). We had brought 3 lovely large field mushrooms from our local Saturday market and a raid on the fridge revealed a small portion of home cured pancetta and a piece of blue stilton no longer in its first flush of youth! Together with a small handful of pine nuts and a spoonful of cream the ingredient list was complete!
The mushroom was sprayed on the outside with a little olive oil (from a commercial one cal spray) and the stem of each mushroom was removed and chopped into a frying pan. The pancetta pieces were added to the pan and fried off with a touch of olive oil. The fried mix was then distributed between the 3 mushrooms and a little blue cheese and some pine nuts sprinkled on each. Finally the mix was topped off with half a tablespoon of cream in each mushroom. As we were slow cooking on the EGG we added the mushrooms to the grill and left well alone for 30 mins or so. The mushrooms were brought inside and popped under a hot grill for 2-3 mins to caramelise the surface (though this could have also been done with a blow torch). A ‘word to the wise’; do let it cool for a few minutes after grilling before eating as the taste improves (to say nothing of reducing the risk of burning the roof of your mouth!!)
The opportunities for playing with different fillings depending on what you have in the fridge are numerous – if you have a favourite – do share it with us on the site!
Baked stuffed mushrooms
Large field mushrooms stuffed with pancetta, cheese and pine nuts
- One large field mushroom per person (this was for 3)
- 100g home cured pancetta pieces
- Small piece of blue stilton
- Small handful of pine (or other) nuts
- Half tablespoon of cream (x3)
- Step 1 Remove the stem from each mushroom and chop these into a frying pan. Add the pancetta and fry off with a drop of olive oil.
- Step 2 Distribute the mix between the 3 mushrooms and add a little crumbled blue cheese and some pine nuts.
- Step 3 Top off with half a tablespoon of cream in each mushroom. Place the mushrooms on the BGE set for indirect cooking and leave for 30mins or so.
- Step 4 When cooked through, remove from the EGG and put under a hot grill for 2-3 mins to caramelise the surface.
- Step 5 Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving