A very quick post! This dish is based on an original dish by Theo Randall, we modified it to make Fettuchini with courgettes and salmon. That recipe can be found here
We had been cold smoking different white fish and for this dish we used some smoked halibut. It is an absolutly perfect way of using some of the trimmings – For this we used the thin tail sections. There doesn’t seem to be a large tradition of cooking with smoked fish in Italy. In this dish, the subtlety of the smoked halibut makes it a perfect dish. We combined it with cassarecci pasta ……………………
……………………..it works so well, do give its a go!
Footnote – this should work well with smoked haddock too!
Cassarecci with courgette capers and smoked halibut
A perfect blend of smoked halibut, courgette and pasta
- 150g courgettes/zucchini
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove finely sliced
- 100-150g smoked halibut - skin removed and sliced into strips (0.75cm)
- A few chopped basil leaves
- 1 tbsp of drained capers
- Around 150-250g dried Cassarecci
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Step 1 Cut the courgettes into 1cm rounds and then cut into batons – usually three to a disc.
- Step 2 Set up the BGE for direct cooking at around 180C. Heat the olive oil in a handleless pan such as the Tefal Ingenio. Add the sliced garlic and cook for1 minute. Add the courgettes and cook for around 5 minutes, tossing them a few times until they are a light golden colour.
- Step 3 Add the sliced halibut followed by the basil and capers and a little seasoning. Cook for 2-3 minutes then remove the pan from the heat.
- Step 4 The pasta should be cooked until (quite) ‘al dente’ – probably 1-2 mins less than the stated cooking time. Add the pasta to the courgettes and salmon and place back on the heat so the pasta cooks in the sauce for the last few minutes. Add a little pasta water and evaporate off as necessary to add silkiness to the sauce. Add more pasta water if the sauce needs to be loosened slightly. If cooking on the BGE this last stage needs to be done with the lid open.
- Step 5 Serve on warmed plates