Whilst chicken can be bland it really doesn’t need to be! This is a really simple recipe and almost a one pan dish too. We had taken 2 chicken breasts from a large free range organic chicken. The skin was left on the chicken and the breasts were lightly dusted with a Shawarma seasoning from Angus and Oink. They were set aside for an hour or so. We paired this with chorizo sautéed potatoes, based on our earlier recipe with asparagus, so whilst the chicken was marinating the new potatoes were halved and parboiled and also set aside.
The BGE was set up for direct cooking at around 180C. A handleless sauté pan was brought up to temperature and the chorizo was fried in rapeseed oil added to the pan. This both cooks the chorizo and in turn spices the oil. The chorizo was removed from the pan and replaced with the breasts of chicken, skin side down. The idea is to do around 80-90% of the chicken cooking with the skin side down with the skin protecting the chicken from the heat. The chicken was flipped over to finish off the cook. The parboiled potatoes were added to the pan to sauté the potatoes in the chorizo infused oil. The chicken was removed from the pan when the core temperature hit just above 70C. They were wrapped in foil and allowed to rest whilst the core temperature rose to 74C. The cooked chorizo was added back to the potatoes as they finished being sautéd.
The chicken was sliced and served on roasted cauliflower together with the spicy chorizo potatoes. The level of spicing will depend on the type of chorizo you choose!
…………………………a great way to spice up your chicken!!
Footnote: Also see reflections here
Spicy Charred Chicken Breast with Chorizo Potatoes
Spicy Chicken breast roasted with chorizo sautéed potatoes
- 2 chicken breasts skin on
- Shawarma seasoning from Angus and Oink
- New potatoes
- Chorizo 3 inch piece
- Rapeseed oil
- Step 1 Leave the skin on the chicken and dust lightly with Shawarma seasoning. Set aside for an hour or so. Meanwhile halve the new potatoes and parboil then set aside.
- Step 2 Set up the BGE for direct cooking at around 180C. Use a handleless sauté pan and bring to temperature. Fry the chorizo in rapeseed oil. Remove the chorizo and replace with the breasts of chicken, skin side down. Cook without moving until around 80-90% cooked. Turn the chicken and finish off the cook. Add the parboiled potatoes and sauté.
- Step 3 Remove the chicken from the pan when the core temperature hits 70C. Wrap in foil and allow to rest to allow the core temperature to reach 74C. Add the cooked chorizo to the potatoes as they finish being sautéd
- Step 4 Slice the chicken and serve with the spicy chorizo potatoes