After a lovely break in Tuscany we had driven into France, to the Rhône-Alpes to meet part of our “French family”. We had a Gîte for a week but as there would be 6 of us it would clearly “tax” the capacity on the BGE Mini! Finding a home for the BGE was the easy part of things as there was a stunning stone table just a few metres away from the outside dining area – it was crying out for the BGE!! I have to say that after a week of using it I really wanted to take it home with me! Anyway, to get the ball rolling we had brought 12 of our favourite salsiccia italiana, half lightly spiced and the other half a little more picante! These were going to be served with some sautéed pomme de terre and a green salad. So the first task was to balance these 12 large sausages on the 25cm (10in) BGE grill. Not a lot of room for error here!
Fortunately with the cooking characteristics of the BGE the sausages did not need a lot of turning – which was just as well! A couple of large sprigs of rosemary that were just begging to be picked from the garden, were sat onto the sausages for good measure. After an initial browning the bottom vent door was closed and the ceramic cap placed on the Egg to put out the charcoal, and the final cooking was done simply with the residual heat of this ceramic oven. ……….and you are right in your assumption, the sautéed potatoes were not done on the Egg – but they were special all the same!
Italian Grilled Sausages
Oven smoked sausages
- 12 Tuscan Sausages
- Large sprig of Rosemary
- Step 1 Set up the BGE for indirect cooking with the platesetter in the feet up position.
- Step 2 If you want a slightly more smoky flavour sprinkle a handful of wet wood chips across the charcoal before adding the platesetter
- Step 3 Once up to a temperature of 130-140C add the sausages to the grill plate and put the rosemary sprigs over the top
- Step 4 Cook to an internal temperature of around 74C (or a little less if you hold them at the temperature for 6 mins or more) turns the sausages occasionally
- Step 5 towards the end of the cook close off the vents and cook on the residual heat
- Step 6 Serve with sautéed potatoes or a green salad